Tonight will be the first time I’ve had people over for dinner since early June. Not a huge-o deal but I was supposed to be doing this weekly per my arrangement with my sweet 52 Sunday Suppers collaborator, Kristin Schell.
But on June 9th, my HAND hijacked the plan. Kristin posted a recipe. But I never did. Instead, that day I injured my hand riding. Two days later, I had surgery. For the next 5 weeks, I laid around yeowing in pain. Then in the middle of July, I was diagnosed with RSD.
Life changed. D-r-a-s-t-i-c-a-l-l-y.
I’m completely exhausted and I haven’t cooked in months which is super convenient for our 52 Sunday Supper plan. But tonight, I’m changing all that. Yep, I’m having the PWC (our little name for the wives of the ACF community pastors) over. Because ministry never stops. And they need encouragement. And so do I.
I’m serving something special. Something new for me.
Wendy’s Baked Potatoes.
(Caps make it fancy.)
I’d love a salad but that depends. Do I have some lettuce in the fridge? If not, is Will up for a grocery run after preaching two services? Will one of the girls prep the salad for me since I still can’t use my right hand? Who knows? Who knows …
Here is my game plan:
- 2:30 – 3:00 eat lunch and watch The Office
- 3:00 – 4:00 try to get some serious sleep (in bed, fan on, shades closed)
- 4:00 – 5:00 eat a small snack, take vitamins and catch up on Rehab Addict
- 5:05 ask Will to go to Wendy’s for 5 baked potatoes
- 5:10 say a quick prayer there are clean plates and forks
- 5:15 ask daughter #1 to scoot all the stuff off the dining room table and pile it in the corner
- 5:20 ask daughter #2 to pull out butter, cheese and see about situation with lettuce
- 5:25 maybe change out of pajamas … and wait for friends to arrive
- 5:30 smile as brightly as possible & ring dinner bell
We’ve always said 52 Sunday Suppers isn’t about food. It’s about community. And I need community. Desperately. People to laugh with, cry with, eat fast food with. It doesn’t matter if I can’t cook, I’m in my pajamas and my house is a mess.
If you need community too, I have good news. There’s a Wendy’s near you.
Or good gracious, maybe you have an even tastier cheat? Do share …