Liz Benigno … a spiritual mama with great wisdom (dear daughters 5)
I once read that in the next five years, you become just like the people you hang out with … which is why I meet with my friend, Liz. She is a cancer survivor (though she hates me mentioning that) and also a bit of a goof. She is a fantastic wife and mother. And she is a mentor to hundreds of young women. She is the kind of person I want to be like and she is a person I think you’ll really like getting to meet.
On the Dear Daughters podcast today, Liz dishes about why they bought a puppy in-between her chemo appointments and her father-in-law’s death, how mothering makes her closer to God, why friendship is often cyclical and how she feels about all those kids she leads at Regents School of Austin. She also shares the easiest recipe that’s destined to make you look like a cooking genius.
Meet my wise and delightful friend Liz Benigno. :)
- The Lassie Syndrome: when you unexpectedly grieve while watching a show like Lassie because you’ve had so much stress in your life but you’ve been holding it all in.
- The school where Liz leads: Regents School of Austin
- My fear obsession story: Unafraid
- Have you ever had a God whisper? Lisa Bevere explains here.
- Community Bible Study
- Lifestyle Theology: a phrase I coined years ago to describe what it looks like to apply God’s wisdom in an everyday way.
- If you can’t afford date night with your husband, Liz suggests instituting a childless cocktail hour on the back patio.
- Favorite books Liz is reading: The Hillbilly Elegy & The Japanese Lover
- She also loved: Fervent: A Woman’s Battle Plan to Serious, Specific, and Strategic Prayer
- Want to join the spiritual mamas facebook group?
Things to Think About
Love God and live the life God wants you to live even though it might not be the life your parents want you to live or society expects you to live. If you genuinely love God, all the minutia will work out. ~ Liz Benigno
I’d tell my young married self to wear a bikini more or just romp around the house naked. ~ Susie Davis
Motherhood provides an opportunity for enhanced spirituality. ~ Susie Davis
When a child finds faith, it is not formulaic. That leaves zero room for God to breathe in their life. ~ Liz Benigno
God is way above and way beyond even my best mothering attempts. ~ Susie Davis
Do you have any marriage rituals? I bet they’re beautiful …
Do you have any long-term dreams for your marriage? Where are you in 20 or 30 years?
One of the keys to having good friends is to not hold them too tightly. ~ Susie Davis
It’s okay to have cyclical friendships. ~ Liz Benigno