My Utmost for His Highest | Oswald Chambers
If there is one thing I learned over the last year, it is the importance of stepping back from the news and media to re-engage in a habit of reading spiritual classics. The authors who I’ll be featuring on the podcast have fought the good fight and remained faithful to the end. There’s just so much we can learn from them. I want to invite you to come along with me this season and dive into the wisdom of these faithful followers of Jesus.
This next book is the most-often quoted in my journals from the time I became a believer: My Utmost for His Highest by Oswald Chambers. Here are a few things you may not know about Oswald:
- Oswald Chambers was born on July 24, 1874, and died November 15, 1917. He only lived 43 years.
- He wrote 30 books. My Utmost for His Highest is his most popular and has never been out of print … isn’t that crazy?
- He was a minister and started a Bible training college. After starting the college, he moved to Egypt with his wife and daughter where he took an assignment at the Y.M.C.A. (he had a huge heart for the soldiers and preached many of his sermons there).
And a bonus fact: All of Oswald’s books were transcribed from his sermon notes by his wife, Gertrude “Biddy” Hobbs Chambers. Wow!
“God expects his children to be so confident in him that in any crisis, they are the reliable ones. Our trust is in God up to a certain point, then we go back to the elementary panic prayers of those who do not know God. We get to our wit’s end, showing that we have not the slightest confidence in him and his government of the world… What a pain will go through us when we realize we might have produced downright joy in the heart of Jesus by remaining absolutely confident in him no matter what was ahead.“
I love the idea of “being a downright joy in the heart of Jesus” like Oswald Chambers writes about. I want to be confident in God in all circumstances. For me, what overrides fear is not getting wrapped up in the chaos that creates panic and makes us think God is absent … and instead, looking to God amidst the chaos.
The best kind of faithfulness is doing the thing God has set before you, without fear. My prayer for you and for me is that we can live our lives with the utmost confidence in God and be downright joys for Jesus.
SUBSCRIBE IN ITUNES
- Get a brand new copy of My Utmost for His Highest in paperback or gift edition.
- Or consider a blue vintage copy (pictured above) from my own library … available to purchase here.
- You can also access a My Utmost for His Highest daily devotional online here.
- Listen to my 2021 Hopeful playlist on Spotify.
- Get encouragement in your inbox each week: Sign up for my newsletter!
- Join my home church, Austin Christian Fellowship, online.
- Listen to more of Sara Davis Regan’s music.
GET THE GRACE GUIDE ONLINE:
Order your copy of The Grace Guide: Live Your One Beautiful Life!
Amazon | Cokesbury | Barnes & Noble | Target
My book, Dear Daughters, is a template for those multi-generational conversations and relationships you’re craving. Get a copy of Dear Daughters: Love Letters to the Next Generation