We are smack-dab in the middle of summer. It’s hot but I’m taking it all in like a true Texas enjoying things like sweet tea, blasting A/C and Bain de Soleil.
If you don’t know the deliciousness of Bain de Soleil, it’s probably because you missed the 70’s-80’s completely when it was the upscale tanning gel of choice. Those were the days when getting a deep golden tan wasn’t a bad thing. The days of feathered hair and highlights via lemon juice and hot sunshine.
I thought Ban de Soleil was gone for good until I spotted one lone tube at Walgreen a couple weeks ago. I can’t tell you the joy. I bought that tube, opened it up and the smell of it took me back to the days laying out on top of a boat dock slathered it it.
The new version contains a little SPF so I cover my arms, neck and chest with the gel before heading the to barn in the morning. It makes me feel whimsy all over again when I catch a whiff of it. Takes me back to the days before I got that pesky basal carcinoma but it did get me thinking about all kinds of sunny whimsy things. Here are a few just for you:
SUNNY WHIMSY FOR YOUR WEEKEND
- Buy Bain de Soleil before it disappears again forever …
- Did you know that adding a pinch of baking soda to your sweet tea neutralizes the tannins and makes it less bitter?
- Diet Limeade at Sonic Happy Hour ~> 2-4 p.m., $.99 Snacks and ½ Price Drinks. Be there or be thirsty.
- I resisted Tervis Tumblers because they look so clumsy but I broke down and bought some. Now I’m drinking TONS more water. Water stays icy cold in the car while running errands no matter how high those summers temps.
- Have you tried Chick-fil-A’s Cobb Salad? Ohmygracious. I’m super weird about salads that taste like they have a bunch of chemicals in them because a lot of fast food places seem to taste like that but not Chick’s. Super delicious and you get the fried chicken just the same as the sandwich. I eat it without the dressing. It’s just that good.
- Speaking of fried chicken, if you’re in Austin you must stop by Lucy’s Fried Chicken. It’s so happy and summery.
- Hill Country Roasted Peaches … yes, please. Recipe here.
- Best floppy summer hat: San Diego Hat Co.
- Two Faced Watermelon Lip Gloss … how summery is that?
- And how about Watermelon-Lime Agua Fresca? Yes, please.
- Listen to my ‘Sunny Whimsy‘ list on Spotify. Happiest sound track ever. (Got a lot of songs listening to SiriusXM Yacht Rock. OH MY…)
Have a weekend full of the best kind of summery sunny whimsy.
Susie (aka “the queen freak of whimsy, professional spreader of joy, and mom to anyone and everyone.“)