whimsy for your weekend
The smallest and gentlest acts keep us grounded as we husband our lives with care. ~ Julia Cameron
This week my spiritual director, Janet, casually said this, “The best way to create healthy boundaries in difficult situations is to exercise self-care.” BOOM. Who out there besides me needs to exercise *even* more self-care?
I’ve always thought the need for self-care sounded weak and selfish but when Janet said that it’s what helps me act with wisdom in hard situations, I knew she was telling the truth.
And as I thought about it, I realized self-care is creative, refueling and oh SO whimsy.
So here’s a list of self-care whimsy just for you:
SELF-CARE WHIMSY FOR YOUR WEEKEND
- I always start with a soak in the tub. There is no cheaper, easier way to exercise good self-care than resting one’s tired body in the tub. Add bath salts and it’s nearly glorious.
- Over on Instagram, Jess said coffee, Bible and deleting her apps is the best thing she does for herself. Yep, that’s a good one.
- And Tara said baking. A big YES to this. How about her Strawberry Rhubarb Pie. Mmmmm.
- This message from Sam Wells is brilliant. Remembering God is w-i-t-h us. That’s good self-care. :)
- My daughter, Emily, likes to go on walks with her dog, Bowie, and take pretty pictures. (First 2 photos in this post are hers.) Just getting outside and snapping pretty pictures with my iPhone makes me happy.
- Bowie’s hair is so curly and crazy that Emily has to buy special products for him. The special product I use is Marrakesh Detangling Oil. Makes me crazy happy when I use it. I even spray it on my body. Smells upscale hippie, feels like self-care.
- Here’s special something I discovered at the farmers market with my daughter-in-law, Amy, in Estes Park: Green Tea Cucumber Goat Milk Lotion via Dusk til Dawn. Amy loves Honeysuckle. And Hallie of Pearl, MS (the #goodnewsgifts winner this week!) got a little lip balm from Dusk til Dawn. Isn’t that fancy? (Sign up for my newsletter and get yourself entered to win a gift*)
- How about a workshop that helps fuel your creativity? I want to do a Mint & Maple class. Who’s up for it?
- Gentle yoga is my new thing. If you’re not close to a studio and want to give it a try it, I recommend Yoga by Candace. Her classes are the ones I used on vacation to stay stretchy. ;)
- Several other instagram friends said tidying is good self-care. I agree. Marie Kondo’s The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up is a favorite that keeps me motivated.
- And speaking of self-care + house-care, I am into diffusing oils lately. I currently love a blend called, ‘Stress Away’ via Young Living. My niece, Megan, is selling Young Living. Buy from her and you support a young mama who wants to stay home with her sweet little baby, James. Isn’t he the cutest?
- And hey, let’s all take a cue from James and get some cozy PJ’s. How cute are these vintage J.Crew PJ’s?
Prayers you have a weekend full of lots of tender self-care. Because you really are worth it.
Susie (aka “the queen freak of whimsy, professional spreader of joy, and mom to anyone and everyone.“)
Sign up for my weekly-ish newsletter here!
* Several times a month, I’m going to send someone on my mailing list a gift in the ‘real mail.’ Maybe a book I love or a special vintage treasure. Just a little something to make you smile. For a chance to win a #goodnewsgift ~> so be sure to include your snail mail address!