lana rush (dear daughters episode 13)
One of the things I love the best is introducing you to people like Lana Rush. She’s a pastor’s wife, mother to three beautiful girls and spiritual mama to many. She’s a woman full of wisdom and God’s deep joy.
In this episode, she shares honestly about some of her greatest struggles in being the parent of a child with special needs. She opens up about how she and her husband, Ryan, handle the challenges differently and how they’ve managed to stay close despite setbacks.
Lana and I also chat about how we make our homes a respite and our mutual love of books. Between the two of us, there are nearly fifty (!!) books recommended below because we tend to suggest reading the whole series of books represented. That’s a lotta great Christmas gift suggestions if you ask me.
- The Unafraid interview with Lana and me at Kingsland Baptist Church.
- … that ‘Love Best/Treat Worst’ principle? I wrote about it in Loving Your Man without Losing Your Mind.
- More on A Mother’s Connection (a beautiful article about Lana and Lily)
- One of my life verses is Psalm 22:3. I wrote about the significance of that verse in Unafraid.
- If you need to get good at saying ‘no’ … follow Myquillyn Smith: She is the queen of ‘no’ and I love it.
- My journey on inviting people into my home: 246 Dinners
- On affirming people at the table ~> Birthday Affirmations: A Gift Worth Remembering
- Lana loves all books by Louise Penny
- I adore the Mitford Series by Jan Karon
- Miss Read & Village School by Miss Read
- George MacDonald … my favorite is The Princess and the Goblin
- Where’d You Go Bernadette? Maria Semple (and her new one!!)
- Ramona the Pest by Beverly Cleary
- Junie B Jones by Barbara Park
- Hank the Cowdog Series by John R Erickson
- A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket
- The Sophie Series by Dick King Smith ~> I ordered this one.
- Home Cooking by Laurie Colwin
- Homemade Life by Molly Wizenberg
- And because we want you to eat while you’re reading, PIE suggestions. In Katy, go to Proud Pie.
- Mimi’s Pumpkin Pie
- Buttermilk Pie
- Royer’s Roundtop Cafe
THINGS TO THINK ABOUT
What to say your 20-year-old-self: Wear the shorts. ~ Lana Rush
Leaning into your children when you’re having marriage problems is never healthy. ~ Susie Davis
Doing things for your kids is not the same thing as doing things with your kids. ~ Lana Rush
Do you consult Google instead of God?
What are your hobbies? What do you do for fun … ? :)
I want people to leave my house more connected to God and loving themselves better. ~ Susie Davis
(And regarding my book collecting addiction, if there is help out there ~ I don’t want it. ;)