A sweet listener emailed me and asked if I would feature Elisabeth Elliot on this season of the podcast … well here she is!
As you know, I have been revisiting my favorite spiritual classics … books written by authors who have fought the good fight and remained faithful to the end. There’s just so much we can learn from them.
Elisabeth Elliot is an amazing woman who lived a faithful life, and I am so excited to share her words with you. Two books I want you to know about are Let Me Be a Woman and Discipline: The Glad Surrender. Here are a few interesting things about her:
- Elisabeth was born December 27, 1926, in Brussels, Belgium, where her parents served as missionaries.
- While at the college, she met Jim Elliot. After graduation, Elisabeth went on a missionary expedition to Ecuador with other students from Wheaton, including Jim Elliot. In 1953, Jim and Elisabeth were married and continued to serve in Ecuador. They had a daughter, Valerie Elliot Shepard.
- Jim was killed by the Auca tribe in Eastern Ecuador. Elisabeth did not give up on the people of the tribe and she continued to live in the region with her daughter and Rachel Saint, the sister of another one of the missionaries killed by the Auca tribe.
- From 1988 to 2001, Elisabeth could be heard on a daily radio program called Gateway to Joy, produced by the Good News Broadcasting Association of Lincoln, NE. Today, we can listen to reruns of the program on the Bible Broadcasting Network.
Elisabeth was not afraid of tackling the hard things and speaking the truth. She experienced tragedy and felt fear but she lived with faithfulness and courage because she had this outlook on her beautiful life: “The secret is Christ in me, not me in a different set of circumstances.” Elisabeth also said, “The fact that I am a woman does not make me a different kind of Christian, but the fact that I am a Christian makes me a different kind of woman.”
My hope for you and for me is that we let Christ change our hearts and make us into the women he wants us to be. And I pray that you can live faithfully and fearlessly because you trust God with your one beautiful life.
- Get a copy of Let Me Be a Woman by Elisabeth Elliot.
- Discipline: The Glad Surrender by Elisabeth Elliot.
- Listen to Elisabeth on the Bible Broadcasting Network.
- Learn more about Mobile Loaves and Fishes and Community First! Village in Austin, TX.
- Shop the Community Art House! All the arts and crafts are created by the residents of Community First! Village.
- Follow me on Instagram.
- Download the FREE Soul Care Kit that I created just for you.
- Get encouragement in your inbox each week: Sign up for my newsletter!
- Join my home church, Austin Christian Fellowship, online.
- Listen to more of Sara Davis Regan’s music.
GET THE GRACE GUIDE ONLINE:
Order your copy of The Grace Guide: Live Your One Beautiful Life!
My book, Dear Daughters, is a template for those multi-generational conversations and relationships you’re craving. Get a copy of Dear Daughters: Love Letters to the Next Generation