Need to find your next summer read? How about a list of sixteen books to pick from whether you’re on the beach or at the lake or even if you’re enjoying a staycation this summer?
Got some book ideas to make this the best reading summer ever.
WHIMSY BOOK LIST
Best book to read …
- In a wide open field: Emily of New Moon. The story of Emily is eclipsed by Anne (of Green Gables) by it’s just as lovely.
- Eating pie: At Home in Mitford. They eat apple pie in basically every chapter and it is the sleepiest, sweetest book ever. This is a Lana Rush recommendation so you know it can be trusted ;)
- At the lake: Present over Perfect. Shauna talks about the lake and how her time there was formative in slowing her whole life down.
- On the beach: Gifts from the Sea. It’s my favorite re-read. Get something new every single time.
- At a bistro (or in France): My Life in France. Because Julia Child …
- On a family road trip with school-aged children: Wonder. R. J. Palacio
- On an airplane: Where’d You Go, Bernadette. This is a paper trail story. Wacky and fun.
- On your front porch: The Year of Magical Thinking. Because a front porch reminds you of your one beautiful life.
- At your grandparent’s house: Where the Red Fern Grows. “I’m sure no one in the world can understand a boy like his grandfather can.”
- Aloud no matter your age: A Series of Unfortunate Events. So clever. You will love.
- In your local coffee house: A Man Called Ove. Trust me on this one. All the interesting people.
- For a cooking club: Cooking for Jeffrey. Because I want to know about recipes from a wife of 46 years.
- On your staycation weekend: Sunday Suppers. Beautiful pictures + delicious recipes = test some yourself.
- To your kids: Hank the Cowdog. All the fantastic dialogue.
- When you’re angsty and discontent: Diary of a Young Girl. No words necessary.
- When life feels terribly complicated or … when in the mountains: Heidi is the one. I recommend this to anyone missing the gratitude/joy in life and since it’s set in the mountains, reading it there is just the best.
Happy summer reading!