We’ve been having some cooler days down here in Texas this week, which has me thinking about all things cozy. Just makes me want to open all my windows, light candles, and gather a bunch of people around my table, you know? Here are some of the ideas I have about cozy when it comes to meal planning.
- Cozy Little Dinner Party ~ Serve comfort food at its finest. How about these Shrimp and Fennel Pot Pies? Or Pot Roast and Popovers? Or maybe Italian? Baked Ziti is always nice. Any of these would be part of a fabulous menu. Just add a green salad and it’s done.
- For dessert, Chocolate Sheet Cake with Cinnamon is cozy. Or there’s nothing like warm Chocolate Chip Cookies and a glass of milk. Old school wonder. If you want to step it up but keep it easy, try an Affogato. Made with any flavor gelato of your choosing and topped with a rich shot of espresso, this is the Italian version of an ice cream float. To make the affogato ~> add one to two scoops of gelato to an ice cream bowl or coffee mug then pour hot espresso over gelato. Mmmmm.
- Cozy Fall Soups ~ Edie over at Life in Grace has an Italian Wedding Soup that is outta this world. Yum. And here is my Easy Chicken Noodle recipe or a quick Chicken and Rice Soup ready to print in a handy PDF.
- Best Cozy Treat to Share with a Neighbor ~ Mimi’s Pumpkin Bread. I keep making this one. Because one batch makes two loaves, so it’s easy to whip up one for yourself and one for a neighbor. Maybe tie on one of these darling thankful printable tags via Alexa Zurcher for a little extra cozy. And if you’re willing to give it a try: this French Bread Recipe is fantastic. And oh, this Amish Bread recipe is truly easy. I promise. And the rich reward is a house that smells of freshly baked bread.
- Cozy Fall Food Follow ~ Sugarhouse Workshop and Joy the Baker feature lots of lovely fall foods.
- Cozy Fall Brunch ~ Y’all. This Eggs Benedict Casserole. It looks fancy, and tastes SO GOOD, and is one of the easiest brunch recipes you can make. It can be made the night before, and it would be just lovely with a side of coffee cake or broiled grapefruit, or maybe some lightly blanched asparagus to use up that extra hollandaise sauce. ;) I’m sure a little of the PW’s Perfect Iced Coffee would only make it better.
- Best Cozy Fall Candle ~ because can you serve a cozy meal without a candle? How about this Candlefish No. 46- Pumpkin, Nutmeg, Anise … oh wait, maybe Trapp Vanilla Orange? JOY!
- Cozy Comfort Dinner for Two ~ Some recipes just make you feel like a genius. This is one of them: Maple Mustard ‘Man Pleasing’ Chicken has only four ingredients and comes together in no time. Serve with Savory Seven Up Biscuits and some fresh sautéed green beans … and open up the windows to let in that lovely cool air!
I love to encourage people around my table.
Here are a few of my favorite questions to ask:
What’s Your God Story? Because everyone has one.
What’s Your Big God Dream? What’s that dream in your heart that is so big + crazy + outrageous that only God could make it happen?
What’s One Thing We Don’t Know about You & God? So many interesting conversations start with this question…
And here are some other resources to help guide you along as you welcome people into your home and into your kitchen. They’re just time-tested tips from a mama and a table person.
Happy weekend. I hope it is full of rest and peace and good food.
Susie (aka “the queen freak of whimsy, professional spreader of joy, and mom to anyone and everyone.“)