Sharon Hodde Miller | Dear Daughters 35
Sharon Hodde Miller is a writer, speaker, Bible teacher, pastor’s wife, and mother, who loves writing about Jesus for the women in his church. She regularly contributes to sites like: Her.meneutics, Relevant, (in)courage, and Propel. Sharon lives in North Carolina with her husband and two sons. She is releasing her first book baby, Free Of Me: Why Life is Better When It’s Not About You today, and is expecting her first girl baby to join their family in a few months!
Today we talk about how to intentionally and honestly use social media, the important of the church family, dealing with insecurity, and of course, food. I can’t wait for your to meet Sharon.
- Sharon’s first book, out TODAY! Free Of Me: Why Life is Better When It’s Not About You.
- Take a look at Sharon’s well-curated Twitter feed
- The danger of Twitter ~ How great a forest is set ablaze by such a small fire! And the tongue is a fire… James 3.5
- If you want to take a look at some other people who are interacting positively on Twitter ~ Beth Moore, Tim Keller, John Piper
- Debbie Eaton’s perspective on feeling unseen, “Remember what it may feel like for women in your circles who are maybe brand new and don’t know anyone. That experience can help you see those people better and to have compassion for them.”
- Here’s my conversation with my daughter, Sara ~> dd episode 3
- Marriage counseling ~ find one through prepare-enrich here
- Does hospitality stress you out too? Here are a few simple tips to get you started… 10 easy steps to host a dinner party (and talk about God), 7 ways to help people feel loved at your table
- Hunter Beless and the Journey Women Podcast
- Christ Together Greater Austin and Pastors in Covenant Groups (PIC) ~ where Austin area pastors across denominations meet together for small group a couple times a week
- Tim Keller’s, The Freedom of Self- Forgetfulness : The Path to True Christian Joy
- Our mutual friend, Lisa Whittle, and her interview on the podcast
- Sharon’s cute IF:Table group made it into her acknowledgements!
- One of Sharon’s favorite go to meals ~ Beef and Broccoli Ramen Stir Fry
- If you need a ‘non-hospitality’ slow cooker
- Some of my favorite stand-by salads ~ Shauna’s Caesar Salad, Aunt Carol’s Crunchy Salad
- Schedule a consultation with Susie here.
Sign up for my weekly-ish newsletter here!
THINGS TO THINK ABOUT
Have you asked yourself why are you on social media?
One of Sharon’s goals of using social media is to put out light instead of heat.
I don’t want women to follow me on Instagram and feel worse about themselves because of what they find on my feed. I don’t want them to feel like my feed is another measuring stick for them. ~ Sharon Hodde Miller
One of the questions Sharon asks before doing something in any area of her life : Is this going to honor God and be loving towards others?
Image management gets especially sticky is when we incorporate it into our relationships and we treat our spouses or our children as a part of our image, and then try to manage them to maintain our image. ~ Sharon Hodde Miller
The dangerous idolatry of needing to be approved hinders us from authenticity. We are less prone to share our struggles, less prone to admit when we are wrong, less prone to be brave and take a stand when it’s hard and maybe disagreeable, because we want to be sweet and likable. ~ Sharon Hodde Miller
When you get caught in that ‘likable’ form of image management, it keeps you from obeying God, because you aren’t going to say anything hard. ~ Sharon Hodde Miller
I want to be kind and gentle and charitable and fair, but I also want to be bold the way that Jesus was. ~ Sharon Hodde Miller
If I wouldn’t say this in my Bible study group, I probably shouldn’t be saying it this way on social media. ~ Sharon Hodde Miller
I think what is lost when we bounce from church to church is that sanctifying work, we lose depth of relationships, and a depth of faith that comes from committing to a church for the long haul. ~ Sharon Hodde Miller
Sometimes the answer to our insecurity is to focus on ourselves less. ~ Sharon Hodde Miller
God does not need you to trample yourself in order for your family to flourish. What your family needs is Him. Your family already has a perfect parent and it’s not you. ~ Sharon Hodde Miller
The best thing you can give to your family is a healthy you. ~ Susie Davis
CONNECT WITH SHARON
website | facebook | instagram | twitter
… grateful, grateful for Davis sharing their music for the DD Podcast. :)