Let’s get cozy. Or maybe even, “Let’s get consciously cozy.” That’s what Meik Wiking, CEO of the Happiness Research Institute in Copenhagen says. And he says we get there by developing our hygge.
Hygge (pronounced Hoo-ga) is loosely translated as a sense of comfort, togetherness, and well-being. I like that. I want more of it. So I’ve been reading Meik’s new book, The Little Book of Hygge.
It’s a fun read that you can pick up and put down all day long. Read short snippets while you’re waiting in line at the courthouse (yes, I got a speeding ticket … very un-hygge) or staying at Rachel’s place (way high hygge). As I’ve read through his book, I made a short list of my favorite hygge things based on Meik’s suggestions. I thought I’d write them down for you.
THINGS I LOVED & WHIMSIED THIS WEEK:
- Meik says candles + fireplace = ultimate hygge. Since fireplace is out of the question for the next half year here in Texas, I’ll stick with candles. I always talk about candles being my whimsy. Here are my favorites: Lafco & ReWine & Capri Blue & Jill Suzanne & Candlefish.
- He also equates vintage with hygge. You know how I love vintage. Add some yourself by going to an estate sale and getting a little something.
- Ummm, there’s nothing more hygge than a small soft cat curled up next to you while you’re writing down your weekend whimsy list. No link for this. Head to the nearest animal shelter and find yourself a kitten.
- I think coloring is cozy. Emily’s It’s Simply Tuesday: An Adult Coloring Book is brand new and it’s terrific. I’m gifting one in a giveaway (see below). She sent it to me and I thought it would be so hygge of me to share with you. (Meik says sharing is hygge.) Follow the guidelines below and enter to win.
- Cookbooks are cozy. I like: Honey & Jam & Cheese Glorious Cheese & The Pie and Pastry Bible.
- Around our house Julie’s Chocolate Chip Cookies are uber-hygge. I made some last week and sent the dough home with my kids so they could make their own cookies at home. Nothing like cookies baking at home to make things cozy.
- Best hygge meal? Current favorite: Fresh Tomato Soup with Dilled Havarti + Grilled Cheese Fries. Mmmm.
- And oh, Meik says cake is ultra hygge. So to end the meal add Marilyn’s Pound Cake + Percolated Coffee (which reminds me of Grandma’s house which is ultimate hygge).
Well, that’s it this week.
Love on your people. Thank God. And have a weekend full of the best kind of whimsy.
HOW TO WIN EMILY’S NEW COLORING BOOK!
Enter to win Emily P. Freeman’s new adult coloring book + her book Simply Tuesday (one of my favorites!) + 5 of her favorite coloring pencils + Barr Honeysuckle Soap (because I like and thought you might too) + cute little vintage dish by simply commenting and letting me know what’s hygge to you. :)
Drawing ends Thursday April 13th 2017 at noon CST.
Winner will be notified via email.